The DJ Tamer Memorial Scholarship Fund
The 2011 scholarship application is due Friday, March 25th, 2011
2011 - The application is now online at a Lawrence North LTSF website located here.
2010 - Flyer | Application Form | Guidelines (pdf)
2009 - Flyer | Application Form | Guidelines (pdf)
2008 - Flyer | Application Form | Guidelines (pdf)
2007 - Flyer | Application Form | Guidelines (pdf)
The DJ Tamer Memorial Scholarship fund was established to honor the memory of Daniel James Tamer. The initial gift of $20,000 was made by family and friends to help keep his memory alive. D.J. died suddenly in October 2006 from a viral heart infection and is survived by his parents Greg and Jan and his siblings.
D.J. had the unique ability to excel both academically and athletically while still finding time for his friends, family, and many passions. In 2000, D.J. graduated as valedictorian from Lawrence North High School and received his BA from Purdue University in 2004, graduating with highest distinction and a 4.0 GPA. Two years later, he graduated from Purdue's Krannert School of Management with his MBA (again with a 4.0) and was also selected as a Krannert Scholar. D.J. lettered in both cross-country and track at Lawrence North, accumulated seven intramural softball championships while at Purdue, participated in the Summer Basketball League at Lawrence North, and was an avid Ultimate Frisbee player. In his free time, D.J. organized French toast eating contests, the Laugh Olympics, visited ballparks around the country, established formal game nights, created music videos, organized the Sunday wiffle ball games played at Tambeau field, and made many trips down to the not-so-local 7-Eleven for a 44-oz Coke Slurpee.
The income from the DJ Tamer Memorial fund will provide scholarship support for students entering their freshman year at an accredited college or university in the United States of America.
2012 - Marie Richardson - Lawrence North High School, Indians University
Marie Richardson has been award the Daniel Tamer "DJ" Tamer scholarship for 2012, receiving $2,000. She will attend Indiana University in the fall. In addition to being in the Academic Top 30, Marie was an IHSFA (Speech, people!) State Finalist in Original Performance in 2011 (3rd place) and 2012 (6th place), was a varsity runner in cross country and track & field, was an indoor track state qualifier in the distance medley relay (2010 and 2011) and the 4x800 meter relay (2010-2012), and also played the oboe in the band! Finally, her scholarship essay was hilarious and profoundly philosophical. Kudos!
2011 - Joshua Roche - Lawrence North High School, Indiana University
Joshua Roche has been awarded the fifth Daniel James "DJ" Tamer scholarship, receiving $2,000. He will attend Indiana University in the fall and join the track team. In addition to his academic achievement, Josh lettered thrice in cross country and four times in track & field, won numerous team awards, was named All-State Honorable Mention in cross country his senior year and contributed to a third place team finish, and thus far was named All State in track his sophomore and junior years. He is currently the Lawrence North record holder in the 800 meter dash (1:53:52).
2010 - Robyn Miley - Lawrence North High School, Ball State University
Robyn Miley has been awarded the fourth Daniel James "DJ" Tamer scholarship, receiving $2,000. She will attend Ball State University in the fall, joining the women's soccer team. In addition to her academic achievement, Robyn lettered three times in soccer and twice in track, was named the Marion County women's soccer player of the year in 2009, was named to IHSAA women's soccer 3rd-team All State, and helped the Lawrence North women's soccer team win their first ever Marion County championship.
2009 - Steven Hightshue, Lawrence North High School, Indiana University
Steven Hightshue will attend Indiana University in the fall to study French, Spanish, and International Studies. In addition to his outstanding academic achievement, Steven lettered in soccer and diving, earned the rank of Eagle Scout with three palms, was Mr. Lawrence North his junior year, is a Wells Scholar Finalist, and was the founder and organizer of High Five Friday at Lawrence North High School.
2008 - Brad Murrell, Lawrence North High School, Indiana University
Brad Murrell will attend Indiana University in the fall at the Kelley School of Business. In addition to his academic achievement, Brad received seven varsity letters (four in XC, three in track), received the 2007 Cross Country season D.J. Tamer Leadership Award, was the Most Valuable Junior for the 2007 Track season, was a team captain for the 2007 Cross Country season, was a three-time Slurpee Race Champion (with a personal record of 58 seconds for a 40-oz cup), and did volunteer work with the Crossroads Community Church and the Castleton United Methodist Church.
2007 - Jason Crawford, Lawrence North High School, Hanover College
Jason will attend Hanover College in the fall and will play baseball for the Panthers next spring. In addition to his academic achievement, Jason earned two varsity letters in baseball and was selected as the freshman baseball team's MVP, the baseball team's mental attitude winner his sophomore year, the baseball coach's award recipient his junior year, and the Student Athlete of Character his senior year. He also gave his time to various programs at St. Luis de Montfort, The Lord's Pantry, Mary Castle Elementary, and Lawrence North.
- Candidates for graduation of Lawrence North High School are eligible to apply if they can demonstrate both excellent academic and athletic achievement. It is suggested that they be in the top third of the graduating class, and have two or more varsity letters (either from one sport or multiple sports). Athletic achievements not associated with the school will also be considered.
- Selection of scholarship recipients will be made by the family of DJ Tamer after consultation with various teachers and administrators of Lawrence North High School.
- The principal of the Fund shall not be invaded. Income from the Fund will be restricted to reinvestment in the Fund, less the administrative fees, and will be used solely for scholarship purposes as provided above.
- Initially the distribution from the Fund will underwrite one $2,000 annual scholarship. As the fund grows, however, additional scholarships may be distributed, or the single scholarship may be increased in size. The decision about creating new scholarships or increasing a single scholarship will be determined by the Greg and Jan Tamer, along with DJ's siblings; Gregory (Angela), Amy (Matt), and Mary (Donnie).
- Administrative fees should not exceed 0.5% of the accumulated value of the Fund's principal, except in extraordinary circumstances in which case the fees may be as high as but never more than 1%.
- Direct descendents of the Tamer family will not be eligible for this award.
- Guideline conditions may be changed at the discretion of the Tamer family.
- Greg and Jan Tamer will have final say in all matters related to the scholarship and its recipient.
- The top three finalists will be interviewed during the week of April 9th to determine the winner. The interviewing process will be conducted by Greg and Jan Tamer, along with a third person (to be determined).
- Additional information for this scholarship can be found at www.danieltamer.com.
- Greg and Jan Tamer need to notify the Lawrence Township School Foundation of the winner no later than April 18, 2008.
Last updated: 12 May, 2009